Every single second of every single day there is forces among us that seek to destroy the precious enamel covering out sparkly white teeth. The harmful germs that promote tooth decay, if left unchecked, will not stop until every last tooth in our mouths has rotted to their cores. With such a formidable foe all around us, we must always be on the top of our game to overcome its effects. To start, we must teach our children how to protect their teeth and gums. Here are some helpful tips to triumph with oral hygiene in children:
– Do not share eating utensils between yourself and your child. Doing so can easily pass harmful cavity-causing bacteria to the child.
– If the child is unable to brush their own teeth effectively, brush their teeth for them twice a day approximately 2 minutes each time, or as directed by their dentist.
– For children between the ages of 3-6, supervise the children to ensure they do not swallow the toothpaste.
– A child’s first tooth begins to break the skin at 6-10 months of age. Be sure to bring your child in to visit Dr. Dr. Manshadi, Dr. Van Arsdall, Dr. Roden-Johnson, Dr. Shoptaw, and Dr. Shook no later than the child’s first birthday.
– Make sure your children consume healthy food and drink options.
– Use toothpaste that has the ADA Seal of Acceptance. For children less than 3 years of age, use a dab of toothpaste roughly the size of a grain of rice. For children that are 3-6 years old, use a dab of toothpaste roughly the size of a pea.
Help stamp out the villainy of tooth decay today. The superheroes dentists at Killeen Children’s Dental Center are here to help you and your child’s oral health care needs. For more information, or to book an appointment, please call us at (254) 262-3131 to get in touch with a member of our staff. You can also visit our office in Harker Heights, TX. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Call or visit us today! We look forward to seeing you soon!